Tuesday, October 8, 2024

September/October Round Up

So, I’ve been even quieter than usual on my social media. It’s good news! ðŸ˜Š I’ve been commissioned for two series/serials, the first set in 1850s Norwich and the other in 1890s Southwold, which I cannot divulge until next year. 

The first project is something I never thought I would get the chance to do. I’m so excited to have this opportunity.

For my other stories, I’m still waiting to hear back on The Sweetest of Dreams, but another short story, The Vanishing Plough, was recently accepted. It was inspired by a rural tradition where a plough is blessed after the new year. The day is called Plough Monday with Morris dancers, a special pudding and a nonsense play. My story is a coming-of-age tale told from a male perspective.

The Gingerbread House will have to go on the backburner as I’ve missed this year’s submission window for Christmas stories. I’ll probably get the majority of it written up while relaxing in December. 

Robin, my timeslip dark fantasy, is also well underway. I’m currently jumping between chapters in the latter half of the novel to write the faster paced scenes – a struggle in the mill and a contract with the devil broken.

I also enjoyed a day trip with a close friend to Norwich on Heritage Open Day last month. One of the places we visited was Bridewell Museum. It’s a fascinating place filled with Norwich’s social history, such as the Yards and the city’s boot trade. A missing piece of Robin’s sequel – Raven’s Beak – has slotted in nicely with the Bridewell’s past as a house of correction…

Publication News

Of course, my biggest news was the recent release of my six-part serial, A Countryman’s Favour, which appeared throughout September. I’ve received so much lovely feedback for this. 

The idea originally came about in 2019 when I was researching corn dollies for my People’s Friend short story In Fields of Corn. A Countryman's Favour started life as a pocket novel switching between Ivy and Eli’s point of view. However, with side characters muscling in and my research into Colman’s mustard and Methodism running away with me, it evolved into something even better.

It’s proof that no matter how old a story is, it doesn’t hurt to dust it off and bring it to life.

Writing Tip

This one is inspired by my recent clear out of old issues of Writing Magazine. I’ve been tearing out the articles that interest me the most and it’s fascinating seeing listings for publishers that have since become defunct or letters from new writers who have since moved up in the world.

Writing Magazine offers advice for novels, scripts and poetry, although I mainly read it for the competition/publishing opportunity section. The majority of my science-fiction and fantasy publications were due to seeing competitions in this magazine. It’s always worth a flick through and, if you’re in the UK, you might even be able to get it for free via the Libby app.

All you need is a library card. The app lets you borrow digital books, audios and magazines, and Writing Magazine is amongst them. This does sometimes depend on the county, but Norfolk has Writing Magazine’s latest and back issues. 

Even if it isn’t there, you might find something just as helpful.

See you next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment